nanog mailing list archives

Re: White House to Propose System for Wide Monitoring of Internet

From: batz <batsy () vapour net>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 16:30:19 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Ted Hardie wrote:

:"exchange point routing tables" seems to assume that the exchange
:point operator is operating at Layer 3.  The most popular exchanges at
:the moment (PAIX, LINX, EQIX) seem to be layer 2 (GigE) or layer 1
:(fiber strung from cage to cage, you run what you want over same).

My mistake, but I was just using routing tables as an example
of how the redirection could be done on layer 3. It's important
that the layer 3 traffic be redirected so that full sessions can
be captured, instead of simply sniffing a span port and hoping
that you get everything.