nanog mailing list archives

Re: Identifying DoS-attacked IP address(es)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:29:59 -0500

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:17:07 GMT, "Christopher L. Morrow" said:
On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Livio Ricciulli wrote:
FYI, we developed a system that sniffs FE,GE,DS3,OC3-48 POS and creates
a model using the cross-product of:
1) source/destination address distributions
2) packet rate
3) protocol
But I can't field deploy this 2 continents away at 4am with 10 mins
notice...

But that's OK, since you deployed it in last week's maintenance window, to
comply with the upper management requirement that they be given advance
notice of all unscheduled outages. ;)

But seriously - if you had a HandWave 2100 already installed 2 continents
away, would interrogating/tweaking/etc the model at 4AM with 10 minutes
notice be feasible?

(And yes, I know Chris probably has some tools in place before the fact -
the question is how many of the REST of you do?)
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer