nanog mailing list archives

Re: lists of DNS servers by region.

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <ssprunk () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:21:45 -0600

Tatsuya Kawasaki wrote:
Many web sites which are mulihome/mult co-located seem to act
differnetly depend on which DNS severs that we  use.

Questions:
1. Does anyone have lists of DNS servers by region to may optimize the
path?-- of course it may depend on the network topology ...Assume that
If ISP is fully messed with others.. ie Teir I provider for exmaple.

2. what is the typical  of method they(web hosts) used to decide
which one to give?

Many DNS "load balancing" solutions will return the address of the web
server closest to the _query source_.  This means these systems work best
when your recursive DNS servers are topologically closest to your users.