nanog mailing list archives

Re: Networking in Africa...

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () darkwing uoregon edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 10:24:11 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 alex () yuriev com wrote:

Hello,

A friend of mine is working on one of the committees for next years
Supercomputing conference and noticed that, in the past, they'd had
participants from most continents but none from Africa.  Does anyone
know of a good organization/group/etc which we could spam with our
conference notice and request for participation?

Would that friend be so kind as to name more than a handful places in Africa
with IP connectivity (multinational companies do not count).

Most major cities in most countries have at a minimum ip dialup services,
in major metropolitan centers there are now large numbers of wireless
isps as well...

A more interesting and germane question is how big is the number of
people/organizations in africa with hpc applications and how do your reach
them, since that is the subset of folks interested in attending super
computing.

Alex

--
Joel Jaeggli          Academic User Services   joelja () darkwing uoregon edu
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --