nanog mailing list archives

Re: Eat this RIAA (or, the war has begun?) - Why not all ISPs?

From: alex () yuriev com
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:53:49 -0400 (EDT)

    Do ISP/ASP/*SP's HAVE to provide services if someone knocks on the
    door requesting them or can they refuse for any reason what so ever?

At my "day job", we routinely refuse service to a large number of people,
based on our opinion as to whether the potential revenue stream is worth the
expected overheads (labor, bandwidth, etc).  It *alway* a *business
decision* whether or not sell [a non-protected class] a product.

And it is also a business decision to risk being sued for refusing to
provide a product to a protected class or someone claiming to be a member of
a protected class. Even boards of NYC coops finally got that real-estate
laws do not superceed Bill of Rights.

Alex