nanog mailing list archives

Re: Do ATM-based Exchange Points make sense anymore?

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 17:55:17 -0400

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 05:42:32PM -0400, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

What is the current max speed of frame relay in any common vendor
implementation (I'm talking routers here).

Doesn't OC48 POS on GSR and Jewniper do FR?

Welcome to MAE Chicago/New York, http://www.mae.net/FE/. But M160's and
OC48 ports are expensive, I suspect its overkill for the amount of traffic
that will actually be exchanged there.

I do wonder why most GigE exchange points are still doing single lan
segment peering instead of having a peermaker type service for dynamic
vlan configurations. Manual configuration is slow and a pain, and with
some of them charging you per-vlan what it would cost for a copper
crossconnect, it's no wonder most people don't use them.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras