nanog mailing list archives

Re: Links between cabinets at commercial datacentre

From: Adam Herscher <adam () xtime com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:27:10 -0700 (PDT)

On 17 Apr 2002, Paul Vixie wrote:

someone like exodus or qwest or at&t or uunet or abovenet would be very
likely to prevent their customers from directly cross-connecting.
mae-west (55 s market) won't allow it either.  paix, equinix, switch and
data, and other "neutral colos" won't allow it to occur without a fee
but the fees are reasonable (unlike, say, the cross connect fees at
mae-west.)

UUNet's never put up any roadblocks for me in crossconnecting between
cabinets in their datacenters (2 cabinets belonging to different UUNet
customers).  They've done it quickly too -- here's the response from a
UUNet engineer from the last time I asked:

If this is NOT an Out-of-Band cross connect (POTS, ISDN, whatever)
contacting your sales person will not be necessary. Are you simply
attempting to join cabinets [X] and [Y] via a Cat5 connection??? If
this is the case let me know what ports in the patch panels you want
the cross connect terminated to and I can send the request to have
this done today.

Their quote for bringing in outside bandwidth (having a circuit punched
down at the datacenter + crossconnected to a cabinet) was relatively
little too -- something to the tune of $50/month iirc.

At my request, they even allowed me to have a circuit run directly
through their datacenter bypassing their equipment altogether.  I flipped
the bill for the UUNet-contracted outside vendor to do the cabling.