nanog mailing list archives

Re: genuity - any good?

From: Roy <garlic () garlic com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:50:20 -0700

Registering is not "bad", its just not beneficial.  Given that the routes I want
to announce are within my assigned range, why is it a good thing to register
them?  If the transit provider always add entries when I ask for them, it seems
to be very little benefit..

This is the case of transit so I am a customer paying money for a service.  I
started this subthread because I felt others would want to know about this.  I
made the mistake of buying transit service without asking about their BGP
policies.  I was hoping to help by sharing my experience.

Stephen Griffin wrote:

In the referenced message, Roy said:

Two bad experiences for me:

1) Their BGP polices are not as good as others.  They force you to register
each route you want to advertise rather than allowing you to advertise any
reasonable route for your prefixes.  According to one of their top people,
prefix-lists were unreliable new technology.  We gave up and canceled the
circuit.

How is registering the routes you are going to announce a bad thing?