nanog mailing list archives

Re: More Questions of Exchange Points

From: Ruomei Gao <gte489q () prism gatech edu>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 21:57:06 -0500 (EST)

I did observe 2 exchange points have direct connection between them, does it mean
they belong to the same switch fabiric?
      What does this mean?

I mean in a trace (from traceroute probing), 2 exchange points (in Mr
Woodcock's list) are next to each other.

.... ip of AS1, ip of EP1, ip of EP2, ip of AS2, ....

I thought they are connected to each other directly (probably the
connecion is not as simple as the p2p link between 2 routers).

Are those private peering points?

      confusion of terms.   When bits cross an administrative boundary
      [...]

Sorry, I did confuse peering with transit. But I thought those private peering
points are somewhat similiar too the IXs, ISPs exchange traffic there and they
may also provide transit to the customers there.

      So.  Is this one exchange point (one switch), four exchange points
      ( 4 VLANS), or five exchange points ( 5 subnets)?  Which ones are
      public? Which ones are private?  and why?

Is this case very common?