nanog mailing list archives

Re: Analysis from a JHU CS Prof

From: "Joel Baker" <lucifer () lightbearer com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 16:05:13 -0600

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 03:11:15PM -0600, Leigh Anne Chisholm wrote:

2.  What's the point of having transponder codes for hijacking if they're so
well published everyone is aware of them?  The purpose of the codes was so
that the pilot could communicate this information without the hijacker
becoming aware of what was happening.  I have always REALLY DISLIKED the now
common practice of advertising this information.  You're taking away one of
the pilot's best tools...

Then you would probably consider it a good thing that the code he gave is
not, in fact, the transponder code for hijacking. And no, I'm not going to
detail what the correct one is. Go ask a pilot (such as the one living in
my house), if you want to know. Pretty much all of them know it; even those
who don't fly planes one could reasonably hijack.
--
lucifer () lightbearer com              http://www.lightbearer.com/~lucifer