nanog mailing list archives

RE: Lack of Security

From: Dave Stewart <dbs () ntrnet net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 23:22:58 -0400

At 10:55 PM 9/12/2001, Mathias Körber wrote:
And thus reduce the number of people and bags etc that need to be checked,
which will allow for more time to do thorough checks.
Why is it important that non-passengers be able to get all the way to the gate?

I understand that, and I don't believe it's important that non-passengers get all the way to the gate.

My point is that the hijackers were ticketed passengers. Short of strip search, it's entirely possible that the weapons they had would not have been discovered. Unless we're going to do at least a pat-down of all passengers.

In short, from what I've seen, the "security" measures now being put in place would have done little or nothing to avert yesterday's attacks.

As has been pointed out earlier - enter the country legally, do everything exactly as authorities ask. Then take whatever action you want once the flight is in the air.

The air marshall program is a good idea - I worry a little that a group of determined people could overpower him/her and end up in possession of their weapon.