nanog mailing list archives

Re: Not all Men In Black work for the Government (was Re: Carnivore)

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 18:22:31 -0400

In message <20010912210118.25333.cpmta () c011 snv cp net>, Sean Donelan writes:

There is no "emergency" where law enforcement can't get a judge or
other proper authority in time.  FBI agents are fairly well trained,
and most have a high degree of respect for the law.  I've talked to
several members of the technical branch, and they've all told me they
are willing wait while the lawyers decide what they can and can't do.

Proper authority, yes; a judge, not necessarily.  See Section (7) of

                                  http://www.wilyhacker.com