nanog mailing list archives

Re: Where NAT disenfranchises the end-user ...

From: Scott Francis <darkuncle () darkuncle net>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:52:30 -0700

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 02:02:57PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu pontificated:
That's like saying "You're only allowed to direct-dial your phone if
you know how many volts are between the red and green wires, and what
it's there for - everybody else has to ask the operator for assistance".

Cross out "operator" and put in "NAT", and that's your proposal.....

fortunately, we don't need a hyoomun to translate every packet - if we had
s/operator/automated non-human directory assistance/ I'd go along with your
allegory. :)

--
                              Valdis Kletnieks
                              Operating Systems Analyst