nanog mailing list archives

Re: Now:Power/Generators (Was: Re[2]: telehouse - 25 broadway)

From: "Robert Boyle" <robert () tellurian com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 20:29:29 -0400

---- Original Message ----
From: ltd () interlink com au
To: robert () tellurian com
Subject: Re: Now:Power/Generators (Was: Re[2]: telehouse - 25
broadway)
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 16:02:14 -0700

[ staying from nanog to power-generation again... :-) ]

many Diesel gensets can be "converted" to operate on LPG/Natural Gas
instead.
they typically end up with a higher operating temperature (but not
significantly so), and may need some upgrades to some of the
auxiliary
equipment (fuel pump, cooling system / heat-exchangers / radiators),
as
well as some relatively minor mods to the engine itself.  you also
need a
Governor that knows that its using LPG/NG rather than Diesel - the
characteristics of how the engine behaves/responds are quite
different.

Also, LPG/NG converted diesel engines are de-rated 400kW diesel may
become 280kW LPG/NG.

on the topic of Oil Filters, one of the things that can be done to
help
"clean" the oil in a Diesel genset is to add a Centrifugal Pump to
seperate
the solids from the oil.  this makes it possible to extend the
maintenance
periods (at least for Oil Filter changes) of Diesel gensets as well
as
improve the lifetime of the oil itself.
(Diesel gensets are fairly oil-hungry.  that is normal).

I also install an additional bypass oil filter which filters much
smaller particles than the standard full-flow filter. This can also
extend the maintenance interval and engine life. Using a filter
extension plate and a remote filter mounting kit allows for faster
and cleaner oil filter changes. Ensuring adequate genset cooling
through a properly sized radiator, pump, and plumbing will prevent
the oil from coking and will help keep its lubricating properties
much longer.

In our application, we are using diesel as a primary backup to the
grid and the Capstone LPG/NG turbine as supplemental/backup/long
runtime AC power. We have very reliable gas service, but diesel fuel
does go bad and I don't want to store more than 24-48 hours of fuel
in the building.

-Robert