nanog mailing list archives

Re: ATM failure - No the other kind of ATM

From: "Majdi S. Abbas" <msa () samurai sfo dead-dog com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 23:57:09 -0700

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 01:11:00PM -0700, Sean Donelan wrote:
Since there is very little "unique" network equipment in
the world now, just about everyone buys equipment from the
same vendors.  So the question is, Can we learn anything from
Citibank's experience.  Is there anything about their continuing
problems which may be used to improve general network reliability?

        I know of at least one major bank that drops the following
to their ATMs:

        - Frame/ATM Frac T1
        - ISDN BRI dial backup
        - 9600 baud X.25 analog dial backup backup

        If all that fails on a wide scale, you have much larger
issues to contend with.

        Note that there are still a few vendors of ATM switching
hardware:

        Lucent/Ascend
        Nortel/Bay
        Cisco/Stratacom
        Alcatel
        Marconi/FORE
        Hitachi
        NEC
        Fujitsu

        And this doesn't include all that legacy hardware out there
already.  *cough cough* Newbridge *cough cough*.

        --msa