nanog mailing list archives

Re: Unix Timestamp

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:57:14 -0400

In message <5.1.0.14.2.20011022123839.05490760 () calamity wyoming com>, Brandon H
andeland writes:

Does anyone have a formula to convert a unix time stamp into the current time?

I know it is January 1st, 1970, in UTC format.  Just need some example code.

I'm trying to export some data from a HP/UX box into a MSSQL database and
need to use the timestamp feature of MSSQL.

How accurate does your conversion need to be?  Do you need timezones?
Daylight time?

On any Unix system, including the open-source clones, grab a copy of
ctime.c; its job is to do exactly that.  If you want to approximate the
answer -- well, there are 86400 seconds/day, and either 365 or 366
days/year.  The remaind when dividing by 86400 is the number of seconds
into the current day, in UTC.

                Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com