nanog mailing list archives

Re: 800-number outage?

From: Kevin Day <toasty () temphost dragondata com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 10:52:09 -0500 (CDT)

According to Ameritech, at 8:15am they had a "server overload" that knocked
out toll-free service for the 5 state area. They said it came back up for a
while, but is definately back down now. Oddly enough, 800-244-4444
(ameritech customer support) works fine for me, but an 800# we have through
ameritech ourselves doesn't, so it's not a case of internal v.s. external
working/not working.

Also, we've got a DS3 down since around 8:45am, and our carrier doesn't have
a non 800# to open a ticket (that they're aware of). Yet another reason for
people to test and maintain non-toll free numbers for critical services...

-- Kevin

I just heard off a friend that there is a possible Ameritech Fiber cut...is
there any validity to that?  There doesn't seem to be the usual noise around
fiber cuts, so I'm guessing that's not the case?

Does anyone from the Ameritech side have a defintive answer?

Ameritech SCP that handles lookups to the national SMS
database is having software problems, it seems to be working soft of now.

Does anyone know about this outage?
    Seems like every 800-type number in the country is out right
now...is
it a network problem somewhere?

--
Kevin Day
toasty () dragondata com - kevin () stileproject com