nanog mailing list archives

Re: Followup British Telecom outage reason

From: neil () DOMINO ORG (Neil J. McRae)
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 11:05:20 +0000 (GMT)

BT is telling ISPs the reason for the multi-hour outage was
a software bug in the interface cards used in BT's core network.
BT installed a new version of the software.  When that didn't fix
the problem, they fell back to a previous version of the software.

BT didn't identify the vendor, but BT is identified as a "Cisco Powered
Network(tm)."  Non-BT folks believe the problem was with GSR interface
cards.  I can't independently confirm it.

I'd be surprised if it was the GSR, and in anycase that doesn't
absolve anyone. If it was a software issue- why wasn't the software
properly tested? Why was such a critical upgrade rolled out across
the entire network at the same time? It doesn't add up.

Neil.