nanog mailing list archives

Re: RBL turf wars (was: ABOVE.NET BLOCKING ORBZ!)

From: Roger Marquis <marquis () roble com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 19:30:35 -0800 (PST)

Check this out, I can't get to Orbz's website anymore (and I suspect you
can't either):

We can't either.  Attached is a letter from a customer forwarded
to our upstream (another above.net victim/ISP).  If Above.Net wants
to shed customers like a duck sheds water these filters will surely
have that effect.

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting

to orbz (205.231.149.0) through ###### (bypassing above.net)?

As you know ####### provides spam filtering services to its customers
via orbz, orbl, ordb, and other dns subscription services.  Above.net's
un-announced and un-approved IP filters are impacting our services,
customers, and cash-flow.  I hope you and above.net are aware that
these filters are causing financial hardship to ##########.

Longer-term, please let me know if you decide to open a worldcom
co-lo.  This is the second time we've been screwed by above.net (the
first due to their blocking orbs.org) and we are preparing to move to
sonic.net or another ISP to avoid these petty, unprofessional, and
ongoing RBL turf battles.

traceroute to www.orbz.org (205.231.149.53), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
core1-main2-oc12.sjc1.above.net (208.185.175.253)  1.548 ms !H * *
* * *