nanog mailing list archives

Re: Stealth Blocking

From: Mitch Halmu <mitch () netside net>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:47:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Matt Cramer wrote:

http://spam.abuse.net/spam/tools/smPbS.html

POP3 before SMTP.  Works for any MUA that supports POP3, and the only
impact to the user experience is that the user needs to check her mail
before she sends mail (which most do anyway).

Now, please try this, close your relay, and cease this off-topic whining
to this list.

I will give you a solid reason why we won't try this, quoting research
with POP-before-SMTP conducted by the founder of MAPS TSI, Chip Rosenthal
http://users.laserlink.net/~chip/relay-pres-9910/

You don't have to believe me that our clients will not accept that, take
his words instead:

"Our users hated it - particularly those using MS Outlook"

No need to describe what happens when your clients hate your service...

--Mitch
NetSide