nanog mailing list archives

Re: in-addr survey?

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 22:49:45 +0000 (UCT)

I'm attempting to convince "the powers that be" that attempting to use
reverse lookups to determine geographic locale is extremely
inaccurate. One of the reasons among the many this is the case (I
believe) is that significant portion of admins do not have properly configured
in-addr. Has anyone done this sort of survey(Bill Manning?) If so,
anyone have a pointer handy?

Thanks.

Define "proper" please. Depending on what the selection criteria are and
where one is looking, the numbers vary.  The Mice&Men numbers indicate
upwords of 75% of the delegations are flawed. My numbers point to about
55-60% of the delegations have some errors.  On a bad day, I'm surprised
the thing works as well as it does.

-bill