nanog mailing list archives

Re: Instant chats and central servers

From: deeann mikula <deeann () telerama com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 18:56:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Kevin Gannon wrote:

It's a feature of how free services work.

i think sean was really interested in if/how people are using those
AIM/YM things.  we are pretty heavily dependent upon realtime chat
(for the reasons kevin outlines below) but would never even joke about
using AIM/YM for senstive information w/i our organization.  well, ok,
we do *joke* about it. ;)

I know that one household name in IT uses an internal chat server
to allow there 2nd line support get access to there 3rd line people.
Basically it means they have instant access to all the heavy hitters
in a non-intrusive way.

this is what we do, except that we have our entire staff, from our
office assistant to the owner of the company on one irc channel on a
private server.  it's indespensible!  as a matter of fact, people are
chastized for not paying attention to it, because it is the PRIMARY
means of communication w/i the company.  of course, we have less than
10 people active at any given time, so it's not too unruley.

It works a dream as a customer I can get access via the 2nd line
to 3rd line folk that want to answer questions. Rather than the

we have been running a beta of a java-type thing to irc (i don't know
the details) for customers to talk directly with support staff.  it IS
a dream, they love it.

i rejected using AIM/YM for customer relations, too.  we don't let
them send passwords via email, and certainly wouldn't let them send
them across aol's and yahoo's networks.

so for us, it's a matter of not allowing proprietary information off
of our own servers that makes us reject those programs.

deeann m.m. mikula
network administrator
telerama internet -- http://www.telerama.com
abuse () telerama com/spam () telerama com
1.877.688.3200x501