nanog mailing list archives

RE: QOS or more bandwidth

From: Pete Kruckenberg <pete () kruckenberg com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 14:07:25 -0600 (MDT)

TE isn't just for congestion avoidance/mitigation. It's also
for choosing the best path, based on the costs and
characteristics of the traffic, as well as the load on the
network.

So delay-intolerant (voice, video) traffic gets preference
on the lowest latency path, and pushes delay-tolerant flows
to alternate higher-latency (possibly longer) unused paths.
MPLS constraint-based routing allows this, as does ATM. PBR
w/ IP routing would be extremely complicated to do this.

Same rules can be applied to homogeneous traffic, where I
can manage at a finer granularity than
per-desination-CIDR-block. I can move traffic around my
network internally as well as to peers, to get full
utilization out of my network without introducing
congestion.

This presumes a network with multiple paths to a given
destination, with approximately equal performance and cost.

Pete.