nanog mailing list archives

Re: last mile capacity

From: RJ Atkinson <rja () inet org>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 13:50:47 -0400

At 11:38 29/05/01, Sean M. Doran wrote:

Irwin Lazar <ILazar () tbg com> writes

| In our
| area, we're also seeing a lot of pushback against the continued tearing up
| of streets to lay additional fiber, so QoS may become the only option to
| meet required service levels.

The correct way of solving this was demonstrated in Stockholm
and duplicated in a handful of Canadian cities.   In the first case,
the City of Stockholm "nationalized" the laying down of dark fibre
in the city, and formed an agency (http://www.stokab.se/english/) which
provides unlit/unrepeated/unamplified dark fibre between any pair
of addresses in Stockholm at cost as a public utility.

        At least some US cities are following the lead of Stockholm.
Palo Alto, CA is one example.  Others exist.  The common thread
seems to be city-owned/operated monopolies for water/electricity/etc
-- so they can reduce install cost by just laying fibre whenever
they are already trenching for electricity/water/etc maintenance.

Ran
rja () inet org