nanog mailing list archives

RE: dsl providers that will route /24

From: "David Schwartz" <davids () webmaster com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 19:55:05 -0800

Every packet with a source address that's not assigned to the customer
who it is arriving from *IS* a spoofed packet, regardless of *why* it
has an errant address.  They must all be filtered regardless of content
or purpose!  The sooner your customers realise their configuration
errors, the better (and the happier they'll be!).

      Greg A. Woods

        That definition, if you really mean it, would make nearly every packet on
the Internet spoofed. Sooner or later, pretty much every packet winds up
coming into a router with a source not assigned to the customer on the other
end of that link.

        I prefer a much more useful definition of "spoofed". A packet is said to be
spoofed if it is introduced onto the Internet and originated on a machine
whose administration has not been assigned that IP address for use on the
Internet.

        I can cite you several sources that support my definition. But I don't
think you really believed what you said anyway.

        I'd love to hear your explanation of why a unidirectional VPN is a
configuration error.

        DS