nanog mailing list archives

Re: I've just tried new.net's plugin. Don't.

From: Joe Provo <joe.provo () rcn com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 13:45:45 -0500

[last comment in these threads by me.]

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 06:36:34PM -0500, Shawn McMahon wrote:
On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 03:11:16PM -0500, Jeff Workman wrote:

All internet users should see the exact same namespace in the DNS system,
regardless of what nameservers they use, or which provider they connect
through.

Why?  If somebody else wants to see something different than you see,
who are you to tell them they can't?
[snip]

I have no problem with people breaking/mangling their networks any way
they like; I have no problem with AOL special content, etc. People who
blackhole abusers, etc. I have major problems with people mangling their
net and then turning around to claim their net is unmangled.  I don't
care how many others have their little fragmented roots, but -as I said
at the start of this crud- if they don't wish to play in the consunsual
reality/delusion that is the big-I Internet, then they need to be
striaght up abaout it.

Honestly, I don't even care if they claim they are providing
"Internet++", "Expanded Internet", etc happy-spin marketing buzz. But
any claims made that such things which are NOT the global-consensus
Internet ARE "the Internet" will be met with refutation, uproarious
laughter, and shunning.

Cheers,

Joe

--
Joe Provo                                            Voice  508.486.7471
Director, Internet Planning & Design                 Fax    508.229.2375