nanog mailing list archives

Re: Statements against new.net?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 03:27:59 +0800

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001, Mathew Butler wrote:
Adrian: The key word is "cooperating".  New.net (and its brethren that are
being born in technology incubators as we speak) are not "cooperating",
they're intentionally "culture-jamming" for their own gain.

Strange .. three replies, three mis-interpratations from what
I meant. Ok, lets try to restate and clarify what I was trying
to say.

Hrm. Somewhere along the line I remember the Internet being defined
as a bunch of networks cooperating in order to exchange information.

When did that change? :-)

I'm not referring to us cooperating with new.net . Thats so the
opposite scale of what I meant.

I'll be happy when more companies start to see that they canactually
make money by fostering internet growth rather than making money by
abusing internet growth.

.. and new.net aren't fostering internet growth, are they? :)

When I said "a bunch of networks cooperating to exchange information"
this kind of includes having a consistent view of naming, a
unique view of address ranges and a standard set of protocols
between networks.

Now, when did *that* change?

Adrian, noting that he's a problem solver, not an english major..

--
Adrian Chadd            "The fact you can download a 100 megabyte file
<adrian () creative net au>  from half way around the world should be viewed