nanog mailing list archives

Re: DECNet over IP?

From: Spencer.Wood () dot state oh us
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:24:57 -0500

GRE tunnel's are the best.  We used that for over a year to tunnel Banyan
Vines across our IP Network....

It works great....

Spencer

Spencer Wood, Network Administrator
Ohio Department Of Transportation
1320 Arthur E. Adams Drive
Columbus, Ohio 43221
E-Mail: Spencer.Wood () dot state oh us
Phone: 614.644.5422/Fax: 815.361.0714

Simon Lockhart <simonl () rd bbc co uk>
Sent by: owner-nanog () merit edu
03/14/2001 11:30 AM

        To:     "Stillman, Kevin" <STILLMKT () sysadm suny edu>
        cc:     "'nanog () merit edu'" <nanog () merit edu>
        Subject:        Re: DECNet over IP?

Has anyone had any experience successfully getting native DECNet packets
encapsulated in an IP packet and transmitted over an IP network? The
solution I am trying to create will allow VAXes to continue to talk
DECNet
on their LANs and have the ability to communicate with DECNet areas on a
WAN
via IP. Essentially we are try to remove the DECNet protocol from our
intranet while not disrupting location's DECNet configurations.

I've not tried it, but my gut reaction would be to use GRE tunnels. Have
you looked on cisco.com for sample configs?

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart                       |   Tel: +44 (0)1737 839676
Internet Engineering Manager         |   Fax: +44 (0)1737 839516