nanog mailing list archives

Re: 95th Percentile again (was RE: C&W Peering Problem?)

From: "Richard A. Steenbergen" <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 00:37:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Joe Abley wrote:

I think your argument is in favor of 95th percentile vs an accurate
average, not rate vs amount samples. If for some reason you lose a sample
with an average system, your revenue goes down, whereas if you lose a
sample in 95th percentile you're more likely not to make it go down much.

Not really. For any averaging function you care to apply to the sample
population, there will be some samples that tend to increase the
result, and some that tend to decrease the result. Whether or not the
billable value goes up or down depends on the sample that was dropped,
on the remaining samples, and on the averaging function being used.

No, you're working under the assumption that the divisor goes up only with
increased samples, while the system I outlined continues to go up with the
progression of time. No reason that can't be changed though, and that
isn't important to the argument... :P

I'd say the real problem is with the vendor. Fortunantly most people have
counters.

Suppose you are selling transit to several customers across a switch
operated by someone else (an exchange operator, for example), such
that the traffic for several customers is carried by a single
interface on your router. Suppose direct interconnects are not
practical, and suppose you have no access to any counters that may be
available on the switch.

The options are: (1) do not sell to these customers, or (2) find some
way to sell to these customers by counting packets yourself. Option
(1) presents a far more consistent opportunity to decrease potential
revenue than does option (2).

You can do it with VLANs, I believe Equinix does this on their exchange
switches.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras