nanog mailing list archives

Re: Deaggregation of class B..

From: Jim Mercer <jim () reptiles org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:26:41 -0400

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 10:20:45AM -0700, Bleetzin Boopzin wrote:
Can anyone offer some advice on how to explain to my
boss that further deaggregating and spreading little
announcements of our class B to different ISPs all
over the world is a bad idea?  Are there any specific
web page references or previous NANOG posts that
accurately explain the risks/implications from an
objective viewpoint?

one of my clients tried that, and they were overwhelmed by places that
they couldn't connect to because various upstreams were ditching the
subnets of classful class-b's.

if you are going to do this, you better advertise and aggregate /16, so
that these people will in fact get where they are going.

--
[ Jim Mercer        jim () reptiles org         +1 416 410-5633 ]
[ Now with more and longer words for your reading enjoyment. ]