nanog mailing list archives

Re: Multicast Traffic on Backbones

From: John Fraizer <nanog () Overkill EnterZone Net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 01:25:36 -0400 (EDT)

Troll

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Thomas R. Charron wrote:

Essentially every major network operator has one network engineer
who can set up multicast for customers.  The problem is very few
networks have figured out how to turn multicast into a commercial
product. So if you don't find that one engineer, you are out of
luck.

Unicast streaming may be less efficient, but most providers can figure
out how to charge for it and make it a supported product.  Unfortunately
some folks have confused multimedia with multicast.  While I've seen
many multimedia multicast applications, I haven't seen one which can't
have its essential elements replicated by unicast streams.  Is there
a killer-ap for multicast?

A South Korean company has developed an app that sets up multicast on a
network automatically.  No router config required.  It does it with a small
active-x that installs on a user's machine and gives a server on the ntwk
all the info it needs to route the multicast stream.  Pretty cool stuff.
I'd call it a killer-ap for multicasting.

Tom

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc