nanog mailing list archives

Re: telnet vs ssh on Core equipment , looking for reasons why ?

From: Bob K <melange () yip org>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:51:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

But who said I am not on your network ?  What if I penetrated your AAA
server, or, some other server on your network ?

well your not. and if you were, i'm pretty well screwed! altho having said
that, my network doesnt allow you to hop between machines.. but maybe you
compromised my security? okay, i'm screwed again!

Security is generally not an all-or-nothing game.  Most script kiddies
have enough skill to run a prefab'd exploit on your IIS server; some have
enough skill to inject trojan ARP entries and use tcpdump; but far fewer
have the ability to decrypt ssh packets (although new tools are making
this easier).  In cases where ssh is an option, why not use it?

--
Bob <melange () yip org> | Yes.  I know.  That is, indeed, *not* mayonnaise.