nanog mailing list archives

Re: Hard data on network impact of the "Code Red" worm?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 02:33:24 -0400

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 08:40:48 +0200, Hank Nussbacher said:

In this case, IMO, the hype was warranted.  If not for the 2 code errors in
Code Red, this worm, using 300K zombies at 50Mb/sec each would have hit the
Internet with about 15Tb/sec of aggregate traffic.  The next time, we all
won't be so lucky.

Umm.. Urp.

You think all those 300K zombies have 100baseT?

I don';t think any of the 48 victims at our site had it.

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst