nanog mailing list archives

Re: X-10 and like behaviour.

From: James Thomason <james () divide org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:57:35 -0700 (PDT)

There are a few windows programs that claim to block popups.  X10 even

I have been using the free Adextinguisher on windows at
http://adext.magenet.net/ for quite some time.  No X-10 here, or any other
ads for that matter.

Regards,
James

recommends them for people who don't want to get their ads, which
surprised me since it pretty much admits that they know they're
harassing people to the point of installing special software just to
get some X10 ad relief.  Seems like a poor way to get name recognition
to me ("X10?  Oh yeah... they do those really annoying ads, and made
me buy special software just to be rid of them.  Ooh, I think I'll buy
something from them posthaste!").

I just did:

  echo "127.0.0.1 ads.x10.com" >> /etc/hosts

which solves half of the problem (I get an empty popup).

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw () jabberwocky com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/