nanog mailing list archives

Re: PPPOE, MTU, and boom.

From: Alex Rubenstein <alex () nac net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 01:11:41 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

This section describes possibly unexpected behavior that are resolved
in Release 12.2(2)XH.

CSCds69577

Starting with Release 12.2(2)XH, you can resolve this problem by
changing the value of the maximum segment size (MSS) contained
in the MTU to 1492 or less. Use the following IOS command:

ip tcp adjust-mss mss

where mss is 1492 or less.

Post-mortem: this seems to work. Hoever, mss is 1460 or less, assuming mtu
is 1492.

dsl1.ahr(config-if)#ip tcp adjust-mss ?
  <500-1460>  Maximum segment size in bytes

Key (which took me a moment to figure out): the mss MUST be AT LEAST 32
bytes or more less than MTU; for a while, I had MTU set to 1400 on the
aggregation side, and didn't realise it, and this didn't work. As soon as
I upped the MTU to 1492, all started working, including all broken sites
and quicken.