nanog mailing list archives

Re: DDOS prevention offensive.

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <chris () UU NET>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 19:10:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Bill Larson wrote:

Well to sum it up in one sentence. If you eliminate the bogus addresses, you
can then target the actual zombie machines used to attack the site and
eventually eliminate the risk via patching or null route them. So filtering
bogus addresses, non-routable addresses, and the addresses, which do not
belong to your net blocks, would serve to combat the denial of service
attacks.

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say:
1) I would prefer all attacks use spoofed sources (cause I can track it
across my net in 2 minutes)
2) So what if you track it back to 8000 compromised windows
machines?? what are you going to do?

Ok, that said, think about this: Today we have 1 or 2 or 3 spoofing boxes
per attack (on average), if there are 8000 IIS boxes pinging one 64k ping
per second you can really rack up the bandwidth fast. There is a list of
8800 hosts on attrition.org that could very easily be used in this
manner. Do not believe that stopping spoofed sources will magically make
DoS or DDoS go away, it won't. The only thing stopping spoofed packets
will do is shift the attacks to larger networks of machines controlled
through more intelligent channels...

-Chris