nanog mailing list archives

Re: The MSN Messenger

From: Av <lists-nanog () silverwraith com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 13:28:20 +0100 (BST)

I admit the following view is highly subjective but everything is nowadays
:)

Personally I respect companies a lot more for more disclosure of problems.
Small ISP's run by mainly techie's are very good at this (most of the
time). If something goes wrong they like to let their customers know what
went wrong and when they expect things to be back.

I wouldn't expect a "Oops we accidentally pulled a cable out of the back
of a modem in ourrack but everything's back now and we only disconnected
one customer". I would however (in the case of MSNM) have prefered
somethign to have been released at the latest one day after the incident
(which is evidently a major issue with them) to say something like:
 "Oops, the cluster that hosts the MSNM softwarewas hit by a power outage
and the UPS's unfortunately failed. This resulted in servers going tits-up
and we're currently trying to recover all data. Sorry." (that's not what
happened - I don't know what happened, just giving the above as an
example).

Yes, it's difficult to predict how long things will taketo fixand thus
your process below fails. Instead why don't they class inicents by "Who is
affected?" rather than "How long will it take to fix and who might
notice?"