nanog mailing list archives

Re: It's way too quiet

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () civicnet org>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 15:59:14 -0400 (EDT)

I have a number in my head as to what I consider broadband.  It's not
an unreasonable number but it certainly does exceed what is available
to the average consumer.

Oh wise nanogers, what speeds do we need to achieve for the average
consumer before we truly have broadband?

Neglecting the debate about how to define "broadband," I've long
maintained that homes and small offices should have whatever people have
at work - otherwise telecommuting, small businesses, contractors, and such
are at a big disadvantage.

That makes "broadband" (or perhaps "standard practice") a moving target. A
few years ago that was 10mbps. Today 100bps is becoming the norm (and most
PCs come with 10/100 cards).  Pretty soon we're talking gigabit ethernet.

If you're deploying a new system today, gigabit fiber-to-the-home seems
the way to go. Check out www.worldwidepackets.com to see what's available
to support that.

Miles

The Center for Civic Networking             PO Box 600618
Miles R. Fidelman, President &              Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
Director, Municipal Telecommunications
Strategies Program                          617-558-3698 fax: 617-630-8946
mfidelman () civicnet org                           http://civic.net/ccn.html

Information Infrastructure: Public Spaces for the 21st Century
Let's Start With: Internet Wall-Plugs Everywhere
Say It Often, Say It Loud: "I Want My Internet!"