nanog mailing list archives

Re: sorry to ruin several of your evenings...

From: Paul A Vixie <vixie () mfnx net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 10:02:46 -0800

Without being aware of what your disclosure policies are, I'll go ahead
and ask...  what are the flaws, and are they also in 8.2.2-p7?

if 8.2.2-P7 were safe, you can bet that the warning ("don't run anything
earlier") would have come with 8.2.2-P7.

I don't see anything at:

http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security.html

that mentions p7.  Sure, I could diff a bunch of stuff...

you can bet that dozens of kiddies all over the world are diffing stuff.

maybe you'll be faster than them, find the specific problem, develop a patch
that's different from "install 8.2.3", and deploy it before you're hit.

Sorry to bring this to NANOG, but it's a bit more appropriate than gabbing
about what a root server is.  Also, note that Bugtraq is gone until
Monday, so there'll be no talk of this there.

there are several major announcements planned for monday.  ISC wanted to get
the new code on the street soon enough to give people a running head start at
upgrading.  (the root name servers were all done last week, for example.)