nanog mailing list archives

Re: How common is lack of DNS server diversity?

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 21:57:00 -0500

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 07:14:31PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
And, as it happens, currently there is only one recognised DNS, with one
set of authoritative root servers.

Anyone who says otherwise is just one of those renegades who can safely
be ignored and they *will* go away.

Well, actually, Greg, there are multiple root clusters, with multiple
sets of authoritative root servers -- but only one of those is
consecrated by DoC/ICANN.

The other ones do exist, do work, and so far as I'm aware, there are
not currently any rogue redelegations of "traditional" gTLDs, nor many,
if any, collisions of non-traditional gTLDs, amongst the various ones.

I don't let the people on DOMAIN-POLICY get away with *overstating* the
case on alternative roots, I shouldn't let you get away with
*understating* the case, neither.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink