nanog mailing list archives

Re: Proactive steps to prevent DDOS?

From: John Hawkinson <jhawk () bbnplanet com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 18:52:11 -0500

Ok, Yahoo, Ebay, Amazon and Microsoft have all made essentially the
same statement after being hit by a DDOS:  "taken steps to
improve protection of their networks from this type of attack."

My question is What are these steps, and why can't people take them
before they experience a DDOS?

Is there some magic command I can put into my router to help protect
my network from a DDOS, or is this just PR fluff to make it look like
the corporation is doing something.

How aobut neither?

But in reality there is nothing you can do, but wait for the
attacker to get bored and stop on their own.

This is the "state a fact that might be wrong to poll for dissent," approach?

Some people have, or are working on, automated tools that try to
detect-and-then-filter-at-the-border DDOS attacks when they happen.

This is something to do that is not useless PR fluff that is not a magic
command.

--jhawk