nanog mailing list archives

Re: Labeling and naming

From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <kurtis () kurtis pp se>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:27:50 +0100 (CET)

For a project I am currently working on I stumbled upon the following.
What is the best way to lable and name equipment?

Choose a naming convention, publish it internally,  and stick with it.

Well...that is the project :)

Some folks like to put airport abbreviations in their labels to attempt to
indicate the geographic location of systems. I don't as there are cities
with multiple airports, national and international airport labels can
conflict, and I frequently find that facilities are actually in different
cities than the nearest airport.

Agree. Besides, if you things like repeter stations there is not even a
city. Just a location. Still, I am woundering what is the best path. To
write a rule-set or grammar for generating codes, or just creating a list.

I've got a naming convention somewhere I wrote a while ago if you're
interested in a starting point...

Absoulutly!

- kurtis -