nanog mailing list archives

Re: Second day of rolling blackouts starts

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme () 21rst-century com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:27:34 -0500

Is your network multicast enabled ? My traceroute to you shows
that you home to AS 2548, which is.

If so, this might be connected to the RAMEN worm. This is hosing up
native multicast
but good, so much so that it is affecting routers and causing some
unicast problems. I heard, for
example, that it is causing 4% packet loss at the Abilene NOC. RAMEN is
(for the multicast enabled
part of the Internet) effectively a DOS attack.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

James Harkins wrote:

I have noticed east coast routers/providers are getting
beat up fairly rough. I am having hard times getting my
clients in Europe to see me here in San Diego.  Level3
and PSInet are taking a beating hard.