nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Possible OT] California, and running off of generators for extended periods

From: Dalvenjah FoxFire <dalvenjah () DAL NET>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:07:47 -0800

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 09:49:00AM +0000, Matthew Kaufman put this into my mailbox:

Of course, if we had *real* deregulation, my price for power as a commercial
user would closely reflect the utility's cost for power, and they might even
charge me differently by time of use whether or not I wanted that... then
the cost equation changes for item 1, and I'd have an incentive to go look
at the true costs of item 2.

Given that, is there anyone in the San Diego Gas & Electric area (fully
deregulated, passing on the generation cost to consumers -- my residential
power bill was $215 for december, after the state-mandated 'price
reduction') who's looked at the costs of doing this, and possibly found
it cheaper to run off of the generators?

Also -- again to throw something out there -- there is at least one hosting
company that touts itself as running entirely off of solar. (see
http://www.enn.com/features/2000/07/07262000/solarhost_14768.asp;
solarhost.com is what I'm thinking of). Has any other large commercial
entity looked into the economics of installing a PV array say on the roof
of the building above and around the cooling packs, etc? At the very
least, I would think it would be a good way to supplement a battery
network. Or perhaps (going even further out there) a wind generator or two?

-dalvenjah

--
 Dalvenjah FoxFire (aka Sven Nielsen)  I once heard the voice of God. It
 Founder, the DALnet IRC Network       said "Vrrrrrmmmmmm." Unless it was

 e-mail: dalvenjah () dal net             WWW: http://www.dal.net/~dalvenjah/
 whois: SN90                           Try DALnet! http://www.dal.net/