nanog mailing list archives

Re: UUNET peering policy

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: 15 Jan 2001 07:47:34 -0800

In the past, some providers have specified peering requirements such
as "must use a Cisco 7000 with SSP".

If you are concerned about congestion, you should specify a performance
requirement covering congestion, not some internal architecture design
of the other network.  How the other network chooses to solve the congestion
problem should be up to them.

By saying you should treat the other provider as a black box I mean you
should be able to tell if the other provider is meeting or not meeting
their performance requirements with examination of how much they are
paying for their circuits, what type of routers they are using, or how
they design their internal network.