nanog mailing list archives

RE: RFC1918 addresses to permit in for VPN?

From: "Deron J. Ringen" <djr () eng bellsouth net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 13:49:46 -0500

Using RFC1918 space also gets you an IP range where the outside world has
no route to it -- Sorry, but no packets are not getting there, ergo no way
to hack.
.
.
At that point, just by use of simple routing, you've effectively
eliminated 100% of attacks from the outside, and you only have to worry
about inside.  The front door is secure, now work on the back door.

I know that this thread as escalated unrestrained,  however this is the
original point that I attempted to make.

...djr...