nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP Multicasting

From: Ron da Silva <ron () aol net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 13:28:04 -0500

Deen,

On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 06:55:24PM +0600, deen () slt lk wrote:
We are developing a streaming video based application. Can someone tell me
whether

(1) Multicasting is necessary for such an application
(2) How do we configure multicasting, and multicast (224.x.x.x) to Global IP
Conversion, on Cisco Routers. Some useful sites will be handy.
(3) What is the function of the MBone network, and whether it is required
for such a situation.

Deen
Sri Lanka Telecom
Internet

Sounds like a one-to-many application.  And as such, I would ask
who are your anticipated receivers?  Secondly, are those receivers
currently able to join multicast groups?

If your receiver population is not multicast enabled, then writing
a multicast application will be in vain unless you address the
extension of multicast to edge where your receivers reside.

-ron

Ron da Silva               ron () aol net
Network Architect         703.265.4548
America Online, Inc.