nanog mailing list archives

Re: BIND, djbdns, commercialization

From: "Majdi S. Abbas" <msa () samurai sfo dead-dog com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 14:28:33 -0800

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 04:53:30PM -0500, Adam Rothschild wrote:
Agreed.  Likewise, I'd give some thought to using BIND again -- even
paying for it -- if some commercial Vixie entity put out something
like:

      lynx -dump http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/guarantee.html | sed -e s/"D. J. Bernstein"/ISC/g -e s/djbdns/BIND/g

        Yeah, that's some guarantee there, you betcha...

        Specifically, the parts that read:

        "I offer $500 to the first person to publicly report a
         verifiable security hole in the latest version of djbdns"

        AND:

        "My judgment is final as to what constitutes a security hole
         in djbdns."

        It's easy to offer money to your users when only 5 people
worldwide use your software. (And I'm convinced at least 4 of them
are on this list.)

        --msa