nanog mailing list archives

64.0.0.0/8 etc. [was: Re: BGP Question - how do work around...]

From: Simon Leinen <simon () limmat switch ch>
Date: 27 Feb 2001 16:35:08 +0100

"ms" == Marc Slemko <marcs () znep com> writes:
[...]
This could be a tricky way for someone to just use whatever
otherwise unannounced space in 64/8, or it could just be a lame
router configuration somewhere that the parties involved don't care
to fix.

Certainly the latter (never attribute to malice what can be explained
with stupidity).  It's just too easy to forget "no auto-summary", and
too difficult to notice its effects - you'll attract traffic from
unused addresses under the classful prefix (64.0.0.0/8 in this case),
but there shouldn't be that much of it.  Of course once in a while
when a network using a more-specific prefix goes offline for a while,
you may receive quite a bit of unexpected traffic.  But I bet that
most ISPs don't have good tools to detect this either.  So we have to
wait until a nice person signals the problem to the offender.

For 64.0.0.0/8 this seems to have happened in the meantime... but now
there's a route for 62.0.0.0/8 (the RIPE equivalent of 64.0.0.0/8), sigh.
--
Simon.