nanog mailing list archives

Re: [NANOG] Re: rfc 1918

From: Pim van Riezen <pi () vuurwerk nl>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 01:21:24 CEST

Jim Shankland <nanog () shankland org> tapped some keys and produced:

Note that the proposition, "Providers should filter RFC1918-sourced
packets at the periphery" is a subset of the proposition, "Providers
should filter at the periphery packets with source addresses not
explicitly authorized by the provider."  I subscribe to the second
proposition, and hence implicitly to the former.  The problem is not the
stray RFC1918-sourced packet here or there.  The problem is that
the de facto standard is that you can inject packets with arbitrary
source addresses into the Internet from anywhere.  The number of attacks
that use spoofed source addresses is reason enough to change
this.

But I'm not holding my breath.

No, let's just wait till National Government Security Comittees decide to
make the decision for us for interests of National Cyber Security against
cyber-terrorism attack from the Bin Laden Playstation 2 attack clusters.

Shitty situation, ranting against a wall. It's like demanding Microsoft
software to be stable. Perhaps I should pick up religion as a hobby.

Pi

--
conf t
no ip-directed marketing drivel